Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2011 22:03:40 +0200
From:      Bastian Rieck <bastian@annwfn.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop recommendations?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 08:34:17 -1000
Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> As far as wireless goes, look out for Lenovo "1x1" wireless. It's a
> Realtek card and there is no support for it. The Intel cards
> (Centrino) should do OK with IWN. I would be delighted if an Atheros
> card would work, but Lenovo locks PCI IDs for wireless, so I suspect
> Atheros won't work since Lenovo no longer sells them.

Thanks --- I should be able to find this out from the vendor.

> Almost all new systems use the integrated Intel 3000 GPU which won't
> work with FreeBSD until GEM/KMS support is available. If you can find
> AMD graphics or nVidia graphics OTHER THAN OPTIMUS, you are fine, but
> I don't think this will be easy. Lenovo does sell some AMD based
> laptops with Redeon graphics and hose might be your best bet.

My R50e suffers from the same lack of drivers. Is there a rough guess
when GEM/KMS might be coming to FreeBSD? I recall that the new
`xorg-video-intel` driver has been marked as broken for quite some time.

> Good luck! FreeBSD on laptops is a real problem ATM.

Thanks :-)

Kind regards,
	Bastian