Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:01:07 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, "Glendon M. Gross" <gross@clones.com>
Subject:   Re: PCI Modem Driver

Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On 27-Jan-00 Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Glendon M. Gross wrote:
> >

> >> If Winmodems are so available, would it be possible to hack the
> >> proprietary code and develop a KLM which could talk to the WinModem's DSP?
> >> I know nobody wants to do this, but considering the availability of the
> >> junky winmodems, it sure would be nice if there were such a module [short
> >> of emulating MS-Windows in the background!]
> >
> > Yes, sure. Have look at 500KB+ driver for Lucent winmodem in my notebook
> > (LTMODEM.VXD or something). Reverse engineering such amount of code is
> > a challenge in itself.

Your modem, heck even the PCI bus, will be obsolete before you could reverse
engineer ltmodem.vxd...   ;-)

But I guess it's time to bring this up:

Please note that what I am going to talk about is completely
UNOFFICIAL and a background, spare-time task ONLY.
So I can't guarantee when or IF I will complete this:

I work at Lucent (official disclaimer: I do not speak for Lucent),
and I have the source code for the ltmodem driver which is being
ported to Linux.  I got the code because I thought it would be nice
if it could also be ported to FreeBSD (only a binary driver could
be released, you understand).  Being new to the specifics
of both linux and freebsd drivers, and lacking time, it is not
obvious how to port the driver to freebsd.

If I could get some help from the FreeBSD community, however, such
as pointers to the direction to take and to the source code of drivers
that implement pieces of similar things, that would help.

The tack taken with the linux port, and which seems the best way to
port to freebsd, is to make the modem just look like another serial
port.  A *simple* serial port, but one which is a PCI device.
I took a quick look at sio.c and was overwhelmed with the complexity
(at first glance) of that driver.  Is there a better example for
my purposes?

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

Gary Corcoran