Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 22:41:00 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Laptop 4MB RAM 486 CPU

In message <20010503135719.U72846@wantadilla.lemis.com> Greg Lehey writes:
: Current versions of FreeBSD may or may not run in 8 MB; they certainly
: won't run in 4.  Your best bet is to get an old version (for example
: 2.2.8, the last FreeBSD-2 version).  This should function in 4 MB, but
: don't expect a ball of fire.

Recent versions of FreeBSD run fine in 8MB of ram (well, 4.2-beta
did).  I think that it should run in 4MB if you really pare down the
kernel.  -current is another matter.  I haven't tried to run it in
less than 16MB.

However, sysinstall needs at least 12MB, and is happier with 16MB of
RAM.  I've had problems on some machines with 16M using sysinstall.

Warner