Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:56:36 -0500
From:      Bob Van Valzah <Bob@Talarian.Com>
To:        FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   ThinkPad 600X: Can't work out which disk we are booting from.

I'm running 4.2-RELEASE on a ThinkPad 600X and I'd like to upgrade to
4.3-RELEASE. I have no floppy drive so I'm thinking I have to boot from
the CD-ROM to do the upgrade. The ThinkPad's BIOS does attempt to boot
from the 4.3 CD-ROM but can't find the kernel:

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com, Sat Apr 21 08:46:19 GMT 2001)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0x8b not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

It appears to me that the ThinkPad's CD-ROM drive doesn't show up as
BIOS device. The loader's "lsdev" command confirms this:

disk @ 0xece4
    disk0:   BIOS drive A:
    disk1:   BIOS drive C:
      disk1s1: ext2fs
        disk1s2a: FFS
        disk1s2b: swap
        disk1s2e: FFS
        disk1s2f: FFS
      disk1s3: FAT-16
pxe @ 0xd4a0

I'm vaguely curious why this is happening, but I'm most interested in
just making it work. I'd even be willing to try something with a netboot
via pxe if somebody could give me a good pointer to doc on how to do
that. All advice appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Bob

You don't want to know (and I don't remember) all the pain I had to go
through to to get 4.2-RELEASE installed on this thing without a floppy
drive long ago. I know it had something to do with installing RedHat
6.2. LILO seemed to know how to get the CD-ROM drive going and you can
still see the ext2fs partition in the MBR. FWIW, the machine just hangs
when I ask BootEasy to try the ext2fs or FAT-16 partitions.