Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 1996 15:48:20 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: APIC testers

Hi,

Janick TAILLANDIER has kindly been helping test the APIC IO code
on a Dell Optiplex GXPro.  unfortunately it doesn't work.

I think I understand the problems (found 2).  The first is that they
share INTs from both PIC busses, recording the ones from PCI bus0 first,
then PCI bus1.  This causes my code to "forget" the bus0 values.
This won't be too hard to deal with...

The second problem is tougher.  The MP spec allows the system clock to
be left unattached from the APIC, which DELL chose to do.  The spec then
calls for "mixed-mode" programming where the 8259 is cascaded to the APIC,
all INTs on the 8259 EXCEPT the clock are masked, and special programming
of the APIC is done to make it all work.  This may or may not require
ALOT of reprogramming of the kernel INT code, I need to think it over.
Will 8259 EOIs need to be sent for clock INTs? or is it a simple as doing
the initial setup of the IO APIC and then forgetting it?  What else does
this break?

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD