Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 13:34:26 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Rick Weldon <rjw@clark.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

>>> Rick Weldon said:
 >

 > On Tue, 18 Jul 1995, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:
 >

 > > o Voice and Fax -- right now my FreeBSD box serves as an answering/fax
 > >   machine . I really like this a lot since I hate answering machines or
 > >   stupid fax machines. Nor scanner though.
 >
 > Do you have anything written up on how you are doing this? Even a quick
 > thing like this is what I am using and the hardware involved if any.

I am using a zyxel 1496-E modem...
A short write up with the list of packages is available at:
rah.star-gate.com:/pub/Voice.faq

 > > o Occasionally, I watched a VideoCD on my box or on TV.
 > >   The other day I gave a demo to an old friend of mine  and he sat down
 > >   and watch the whole movie so watch out! Since, I had already seen
 > >   the movie I just kept on typing on my system :)
 >
 > How are you pulling this off as well? Just call him Mr. Multimedia. :-)
 >
 > My day job I work for the Air Force. We use FreeBSD boxes as mail
 > gateways, desktop workstations etc... Right now we are setting up a
 > Multicast network internally for communications between serveral
 > divisions scattered around the Pentagon. I anticipate using FreeBSD
 > boxes with GUS cards, mic's etc.... to put out in the user areas for
 > commo among the offices. They are a wonderfully cheap solution for
 > this type of stuff. I would be very interested in setting them up
 > as fax/answering systems that could record mail messages and let the
 > user play them back on their SUN/FreeBSD mime capable workstation.
 > Is this far-fetched or even possible? I seem to remember Amancio posting
 > something like this a while back.
Yes, what are you asking is possible and is precisely what I am doing
over here. A voice message gets mime encapsulated and sent to my
account. My mail reader, exmh, understands mime so I can playback the
sound. I used to send mail notification to Bettina at her job saying
that we had received a phone message in addition to the actual
mime message sent to my account.

There is also a  shell utility which looks very cool to read voice
messages straight from the spool area -- see the Voice.faq on
how to contact the author.

 I expect in about a week or so to release "Bat"
which uses RTPv2 the new real time protocol. Bat is just a
a vat clone . I want to first try Bat out with a few folks in the
multimedia mailing list and to finish up the program.

About MPEG, Contact brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger) he is our
MPEG guru or maybe Brian will repost his multimedia post to this mailing list.
At any rate, Brian is planning on launching support for MPEG I & II
real-time hardware decoding / decoding and H.261 teleconfencing.

The X support is not quite there yet mostly due to me.

You can also join my  multimedia mailing  list there is not a lot
of traffic right now on that list but a few key people are subscribed
to it so you are likely to get good info:
mail majordomo@star-gate.com
subscribe multimedia

 > > Okay, is not rocket science ...
 >
 > Sounds like rocket science to me. :-)