Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2017 13:38:36 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk not spinning up

On 18/09/2017 06:43, Polytropon wrote:

> Further impressions:
>
> I tried with the "little hammer", but after the 1/4th rotation
> cycles, the disk loght on the controller board starts flashing.
>
> As I read about deconnecting the "flat wires in plastics" (flex)
> to the head and powerin the disk on with heads disconnected,
> the disk did the same. So I tought I'd examine how the spindle
> motor is powered up. I found a connector with 4 pins on the
> rear side of the controller, a connector which I don't exactly
> know the correct term for: It's a soft rubber block with kinds
> of wires on it, held in place with mechanical pressure from the
> surrounding screws. Okay, I put the controller back, softly
> attached with one screw only, and thought I'd power it on.
>
> AND BEHOLD THE WONDER OF STRANGENESS - the disk started spinning!
> A "Vrooooommmmm!" sound could be heard.

How about a flaky voltage regulator that doesn't provide enough power to
spin up the disk. Without the controller draining it's share there was
enough power to spin up. Have you tried starting it without the ribbon
again? Can you attach separate power lines? Jump start it with a pair of
test leads?

> I don't know why I powered it off at that time - probably because
> the controller wasn't actually fixed, and I didn't want to
> connect the "forensics adapter" (40-pin side) to a shaky
> circuit board. After fixating the controller again, the disk
> started its stupid "I won't spin up, I just turn around a few
> times, then start flashing a green light" dance.

Then there is broken solder joints, screws distort the board a little to
disconnect them...

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Saving Devices

Shane Ambler