Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 19:31:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI-to-SCSI RAID controllers (was "RAID ? ")

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Dror Matalon wrote:

> After a while though I felt that there isn't yet a mature solution
> that works well with FreeBSD and so we spent the extra $ and got a
> Netapp (www.netapp.com). Cost $20K for 18 Usable Gigs, but we're
> very happy with it.

    SCSI-to-SCSI RAID controllers don't have to be OS-specific.  The
CMD controller is quite nice and appears as a single device to
FreeBSD.  Absolutely no tweaking was necessary with FreeBSD.  If you
have the bucks, I'd suggest going that route.  A high-end subsystem
with hot/warm spares, auto-rebuild, multiple host support and a couple
hundred megs of cache ends up costing roughly the same as a NetApp and
you can plug it directly into your FreeBSD servers.  NetApps are more
scalable if you have a farm of servers that need to share the same
filesystem though.

    If you can't afford to pay over $1/meg for storage, the ccd driver
will give you excellent performance and the ability to see one, large
filesystem, with the option of disk mirroring (but no parity
information).
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)