Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:02:02 -0600
From:      Jamie Novak <novak@qwest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't reboot after messing up my rc.conf file

I may have missed something from the thread before I joined the list,
but is there any reason you can't just mount the filesystems and use vi
as you're used to? If you're getting far enough in the boot process to
get an opportunity to interact with a shell, you should just be able to
mount -a and vi whatever. (Or, if you want to play it safe (or if the
system wasn't cleanly shutdown before), fsck and then mount -a)

Otherwise, Chris Hodgins' suggestion of mv'ing the old file out of the
way and echoing variables into a new one is probably what I'd do. I hate
ed.