Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:30:52 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 server doesn't recover after sleep

mike@smith.net.au said:
:- If you try swapping to a text console, then back, does the screen
:- recover?

No.  In fact, just switching from the X screen to a text console and
back (without sleeping) causes the X screen to change (apparently)
the timings, since it ceases to be stable and it "wiggles" when
I move the cursor.  (Note, however, this effect is not visible on
the LCD.  You have to be (also) using an external VGA port to see it.
The "zzz" effect *is* visible on both the LCD and the VGA.) Resetting
the server restores the "correct" timings.

In the "zzz" case, after restarting the machine from the X screen,
I have "garbage" on the screen.  When switching to a text console and
back (which produces a nice color show), I simply get a blank LCD screen.

:- If you swap to a text console before 'zzz'ing, can you swap  back to X
:- and have it work?

Yes, with the above caveat.

:- Ultimately, it's a BIOS issue (the BIOS is expected to restore the
:- display hardware state).

Seems to not be restoring everything.  Is there any way I can collect
all "state" beforehand and after to document this, and complain to Gateway?
(Snort Snort Chortle Chortle)