Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:49:39 -0500
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-plus.net>
To:        "(ML) FreeBSD ISP" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <mountin.man@mixcom.com>
Subject:   Re: filesystems

From: Jeffrey J. Mountin <mountin.man@mixcom.com>

>>Last month, I realized that I had a totally crappy filesystem, so I got
>>4.3 gig SCSI drive to replace the 2 IDE drives, and started fresh.
>
>Personally I would have went for 2 - 2 GB drives or 4 - 1 GB...

This is a 5400 RPM, 8.5ms UW SCSI drive... more on down...

>>/usr  ~300 megs
>
>Might be small, but /usr/ports could be a mount point if needed in the
future.

I'm no longer doing many builds on this machine.  I nfs mount from
another box to do a 'make install' for most things (including world)

>>/tmp  ~128 megs
>
>More than enough.

used to be like 250 megs... :)

>I'd consider moving mail to it's own server at some point, depending on
the amount of traffic you have, but first getting a drive for just the
mail spool.

>With only 1 drive, disk IO will most likely kill the system.
>
>What does this server handle and what hardware does it have?

At this point, it handles everything (DNS, http, ftp, radius, sql, squid,
pop3, smtp, nfs server for /home, etc..)

I believe the system is scaled to handle ~1000 users, at which time I'll
get a second box to take some of the load off.  Eventually, I'll have a
seperate box for damn near every service, though I'm still not sure how
to shear the mail server off from a shell server (what, with NFS file
locking being broke and all).  For now, the few shell users we have know
that they risk their mail folders if they use a local mail client.

Is there a commercial *nix that can be used as an NFS server, but with no
local services?  so that mail would be read/writen to from seperate
smtp/pop/shell servers without a problem?

>>comments?  Perhaps we could combine our experiences, and add a section
>>the handbook, "Being a FreeBSD ISP"
>
>It would be very complex and probably should be the best of the
methodologies
>presented.  To me size and free space are always a 2nd to disk IO.
Plenty of
>free space may be nice, but if it's slow...

Agreed, that's why I'd say to do combine our experiences... come up with
some generic guidelines that find a middleground of
cost/performance/reliability/etc...

If anyone wants to help move forward on this, I suppose that the current
thread is about the best place to start...

Being A FreeBSD ISP

1.  Filesystem allocation
1.1 Hardware selection
1.2 slicing