Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 1997 03:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2305: system hangs with second Ide controller

The following reply was made to PR kern/2305; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, wh@helbig.informatik.ba-stuttgart.de
Cc:  Subject: Re: kern/2305: system hangs with second Ide controller
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 12:48:11 +0100 (MET)

 In the meantime I have been pointed to some URL's (thanks to everyone !)
 from which I learned that I have a "well known problem", the IDE-Controller
 CMD 640B, which just doesn't support concurrently use of both channels.
 Seems that other operating systems either don't use primary and secondary
 IDE port simultaneously (like DOS ...) or have an option to prevent this
 (like Linux).
 I wonder why it's worthwhile to implement a workaround for this
 hardware flaw in the FreeBSD-Kernel.

 The URLS are:
 	http://thef-nym.sci.kun.nl/cgi-pieterh/atazip/atafq-3.html#ss3.2
 	http://www.phyttp://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~jrdemers/ibm/eide.txt

 Of the three 640B-flaws mentioned in the second URL only the third
 seems to apply to my configuration. (lucky me!):
 	Does not support simultaneous I/O on primary and secondary EIDE ports.

 If someone patched the wd-controller to avoid simultaneous I/O please let
 me know!

 Happy New Year,
 						Wolfgang Helbig