Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 04:59:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, michael@alderete.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [HELP!] Crashing FreeBSD server with file system corruption

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Tom wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > > One possibility could be the DPT. You might want to try a SCSI to SCSI
> > > raid solution. Reason why I say this is because a close friend of mine
> > > was seeing the same thing with there DPT's moved over to an infortrend <sp?>
> > > scsi-scsi solution and the filesystem corruption went away.
> >
> > We tried for a month to get a DPT controller working with FreeBSD,
> > and failed, we tried:
> >
> > 1) new card
> > 2) new drives
> > 3) new motherboard
> > 4) new cables
> > 5) crying
> > 6) praying
> >
> > Well I really don't want to talk about things past "6"
>
>   Well, I have a 24x7 production with 300+ days of uptime and a DPT
> PM334UW card.

Since your uptime is 300+ days I'm going to assume you have
a very old version of FreeBSD running, one that doesn't have
problems with the driver.

There's a chance that it's my user error, but when you have
3 people noticing problems with the DPT driver under load
with recent versions of FreeBSD, it could mean a problem.

It seemed that under hard I/O load it would corrupt data on
disk giving me directories that were impossible to delete
and forcing me to "reboot -n" to get fsck to fix it.

-Alfred