Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 10:04:37 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Mike Dorin <bsd_mike@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Track down lockup problem-fxp0?

>As it was put forth by Mike Dorin on Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:33:08AM +0000...
>>

>> I changed the max users and continue to have the lockups, just
>> as frequently.  I also gutted the unused device drivers.  Still
>> know lock.
>>
>> One thing I did notice was on my linux system, which uses the
>> same motherboard, its bootup sequence prints out a message regarding
>> a lockup bug in the ethernet card, bypass applied.
>>
>> Since they both use the fxp0, ether100, I am wondering if that
>> has anything to do with it.  I have seen a few other complaints
>> but nobody claiming a bug.  Anybody know anything about this?
>
>	I'm running the same card, but it has not locked up on me yet.  I also
>run RedHat 7.0 and noticed the same message at bootup.  Maybe a nicely
>worded email to the writer of the driver would prove useful.  Hopefully, if
>the Linux driver has a work around for this card, moving this fix to
>FreeBSD will be trivial.:)

   FreeBSD has had the 'lockup' bugfix for several years, probably before
Linux had it. I should also mention that the nature of the fix does not allow
it to be 'moved from Linux to FreeBSD' like you suggested above.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.