Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 15:59:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeout when formatting 9GB Barracuda, scsi errors is missing time

> > > Ok, thanks ! But what's strange for me is, that I preformatted the
> > > disk 12 hours ago ... And then this, hmmm ...
> >
> > Er, rule 1: Do not perform a SCSI format on a disk unless you
> > absolutely *MUST*.  Disks are formatted at the factory under optimal
> > conditions.  You can't reproduce those anywhere else.
>
> This rule says
> 	a) You don't have optimal conditions like those in the factory
> 	b) the factory doesn't have the conditions that you have ...
>
> So ... perhaps immediately jump to rule 2 ?!

No.  Conditions at the factory include an extremely stable physical
platform, minimal EMI, clean power, long-term thermal stability.  These
result in a "quality of format" which cannot be achieved under other
conditions.

In addition, the format conditions at the factory result in a format
which is suited to the widest range of operating conditions.

> > Also, your error is not uncommon; if the media has lost some retention
> > it will be OK during the format, but hours later the data will be gone.
>
> Ok, but who has optimal conditions, so I'd vote for doing a
> preformat locally and because of things like transport and such.
> Or ?

No.  I'll say it again; unless you *must* reformat, don't.
Reformatting will degrade the quality of the entire disk.