Date:      Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:42:33 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is a port skeleton considered a derivative work under the GPL?

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > [...]  Case law is only binding on lower courts in the
> > jurisdiction in which it was ajudicated (i.e. the 3rd Circuit Court
> > of Appeals is not bound by the decisions of the 5th Circuit Court of
> > Appeals).  Only if a decision is made by the U.S. Supreme Court, is
> > the case law binding on all U.S. courts.

Realize that I am not a lawyer; on the balance, I've read all of USC,
and all of several states commercial and criminal code, as of 1996,
and I tend to keep up in areas that interest me, such as tort law and
specifically Copyright.

> OK, but where could it be adjudicated?

To file and not get a summary dismissal, you have to have a cause
of action in the jurisdiction in which you are filing.  This means:

1)	Any state in which the author of the software has a business
	presence.  Generally, the state of original incorporation,
	but occasionally the state which the plaintiff feels would
	give them the most favorable result.

2)	The state in which the cause of action occurred; this makes
	the defendant subject to state statutes as well.  IMO, this
	is technically a double-jeopardy issue for criminal cases,
	but it's less clear in civil cases (i.e. if you rob a store
	and shoot someone, there are generally at least 5 charges at
	the state level, and then if you get off, the fed will try
	you for a civil rights violation, because the person you shot
	can no longer go to the theatre of their choice, for example,
	what with them being dead and all).

The general "risk answer" is "your state, or the author's state", for
Open Source software, since they are usually private citizens, who
don't have a business presence in other state, not being corporate
entities.

The other issue with Open Source is that a successful project will
have authors in nearly every interesting jurisdiction.  A possible
self-defense strategy for an Open Source project against a license
violation in the preparation of a derivative work might be to have
each contributin author for the infringed code (likely a subset of
the community) file in every jurisdiction they have a physical
presense in.  This would require your appearance all over the country,
and be expensive for you to defend yourself against without hiring
proxies (usually lawyers) in those jurisdictions.

This last is actually pretty low risk; I have yet to see a project
use this strategy.  Mostly this is because the projects object to
commercial interests using their code, because they have a different
idea of the word "use", which is better stated as "utilize" (just as
their use of the word "free" is better stated as "liberated").

Such a strategy would basically be nothing more than legal harrasment;
if so, you could get out of it with a judgement on proof of derivation.

The general argument you seem to be aiming at, at least with the
ports skeleton, is whether encapsulation is derivation.  The answer
to that one is "No", as I've stated previously.

Realize that in terms of nuisance lawsuits, people could decide
they don't like you, and file against you for "breathing their air",
so not using their code doesn't mitigate your risk.  8-).

> The jurisdiction of US federal
> circuit courts apparently extend to Panama and overlap jurisdictions of
> other circuit courts which also extend to Panama and overlap
> jurisdictions of Panamanian courts.

Yes, yes, we know: the U.S. legal system is a means of undeclared
economic warfare, and it's being used that way more and more often.
Write your congressman, or run for congress yourself.

> Even in the case of US state courts
> where contracts are first adjudicated, which state will handle an
> infringement case?  Where the infringer did his nasty deed, or from
> where the licensor published the material infringed, or either?

See above: the answer is "both".

> It gets worse when one considers GPL licensors from other countries than
> the infringer's.

Not if you never plan to sell there or travel there.  Selling an
infringing product there is a definition local jurisdiction issue;
merely creating the product is interpretational (they U.S. opened
the door on that with the Skylarov arrest, and the current court
case).  In general, I would say that any first world country has
jurisdiction over any second or third world country, and any second
world country has jurisdiction over any third world country, so long
as enforcement of that jurisdiction does not conflict with interests
of a first world country.  Third world countries have jurisdiction
over squat.  In general, the people there don't even own the atoms
they are composed of.

I expect first world countries to start licensing atoms to people, so
that you can't own your own body outright, as soon as they can figure
out how to put serial numbers on them and manage the accounting records.

The GPL infection issue is a risk analysis issue.  The answer is
that, from a commercial perspective, the GPL is OK for tactical, but
not strategic technology.  Basically, you don't care about controlling
tactical information, but you do care about controlling strategic.

No matter what you do, you can't get rid of legal risk, you can only
work to control and mitigate it.  It's up to you how to assess the
risk, and decide how much risk is accessible.

I think for the specific case of the ports stuff, if we could get
some GPL schmuck to claim ownership of a part related to a GPL'ed
product, then that's just that much less code FreeBSD has to find
some patsy to maintain, and FreeBSD would just as soon not have to
maintain the issue of FreeBSD compatability, and push it off into
the authors.  Open Source tends to work that way: define the problem
as being someone else's so you don't have to change *your* code.

If this is a thing for your employer, AT&T has already done the due
dilligence on FreeBSD; you could always check with your corporate
lawyers on the official stance they take with respect to the various
code.

-- Terry