Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:21:35 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More BETA evilness Re: BETA induced nervousness

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 07:41:34AM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:
> c) "BETA" is not really "STABLE".  During the BETA phase, we often
>    introduce short-term instability in the process of adding some
>    functionality for the next release.  This is a necessary and
>    desirable phase of development, and lasts for a short period of
>    time.

"BETA" _is_ really "STABLE".  short-term instability can be introduced at
*ANY* time when doing MFCs.  It just happens to occur more often near
release time.  Some have proclaimed they will start doing monthly MFC
parties.  We'll see if that happens, but the same "short-term
instability" will then occur at different times.

Maybe we shouldn't be calling it -STABLE at all.  Maybe it should be:

    4.3-BETA -> 4.3-RELEASE -> 4.4-BETA -> 4.4-RELEASE -> etc...

then if our CVSupin' users won't bother to understand what using the
RELENG_4 branch means.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX