Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 2021 11:24:10 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating to FreeBSD-current, can't mount -uw /

| raw e-mail | index | archive | help
I updated a FreeBSD-current to the newest FreeBSD-current/14, buildworld took 11:15 (hours:minutes), buildkernel was also successful, I even appeared to be successful with "dhclient re0".

UPDATING file says to boot single-user after buildkernel and installkernel, but then mount -u / or mount -uw / does not work as it did in previous times.

Results were

mount -uw / or mount -u / produces
fstab: /etc/fstab:2: Inappropriate file type or format
fstab: /etc/fstab:2: Inappropriate file type or format

/etc/fstab
# Device	Mountpoint	FStype	Options	Dump	Pass#
/dev/gpt/Sea1-08  none swap 	0	0
/dev/gpt/Sea1-18  / ufs	rw	1	1
#/dev/gpt/Sea1-06 /home   ufs  rw 1  1

fsck -p produces

fstab: /etc/fstab:2: Inappropriate file type or format
/dev/gpt/Sea1-18: NO WRITE ACCESS
/dev/gpt/Sea1-18: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

I tried fsck /dev/gpt/Sea1-18 and fsck / but did no better.

Now what do I do?  I also ran fsck_ffs instead of just fsck.

Do I need to boot NetBSD and run fsck_ffs or fsck_ffs -f from there?

Tom