Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:18:17 +0300
From:      Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu <thciobanu@nth.ro>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtualbox-ose-additions-4.3.16 - module doesn't load, service doesn't start

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:36:41 -0700
mvharding at gmail.com (Mike Harding) wrote:

> A follow-up:
>
> This seems to install fine on 9.3, actually, but the 10.0 client is as
> above.
>
> The 10.0 client was created by installing a release disk, including
> /usr/src, then doing a 'freebsd-update fetch/install', reboot.
> I don't know how the source could be out of sync.
>
> Give it a try on a 64 bit client, they are cheap... the last version
> did work fine.

I've recently encountered this same issue after upgrading vbox (both
host app and guest tools) to 4.3.16. Guest OS is 10.0-RELEASE-p9,
GENERIC kernel. It has been installed as 10.0R and kept up-to-date
using freebsd-update. Host is Win7 Ent.

RTTermRegisterCallback is defined in:
\VirtualBox-4.3.16\src\VBox\Runtime\common\misc\term.cpp

So rather than out-of-sync kernel & /usr/src, this seems more like a
linker/makefile bug for this port, 'optimizing' out this function from
the binaries. My make.conf is almost identical with the default options:

CFLAGS=-pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -funroll-loops
COPTFLAGS=-pipe -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -funroll-loops

But even with everything off I still get this error when trying to load
vboxguest.ko:
kernel: link_elf_obj: symbol RTTermRegisterCallback undefined
kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type

Searching the list a bit I came upon a similar error reported in the
past, recommending a `make clean` and recompiling the port (can't find
it again now to link), but that didn't help. And then I came upon this,
considering this sort of issue as a bug:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2013-December/011159.html

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Mike Harding <mvharding at
> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried this on a 9.3 and 10.0 client, with all options unchecked
> > (no X on these virt. servers).
> >
> > kmod doesn't load - it spits out
> > link_elf_obj: symbol RTTermRegisterCallback undefined
> > linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
> >
> > Attempting to start the service:
> > VBoxService: error: VbgIR3Init failed with rc=VER_FILE_NOT_FOUND
> >
> > Let me know if I can provide details, but I got this to happen on a
> > generic 9.3 and 10.0 client, with only the -additions package
> > installed from source.
> >
> > Mike H.

Regards,

--