Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:09:55 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jak@cetlink.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> > I just mean that if there wasn't a SMP kernel available anywhere, I would
> > have moved to Linux, and probably switched all my machines.
>
> Great, feel free.
>
> > If I didn't feel comfortable paying with experimental software, I wouldn't
> > have tried at all, and definately gone with Linux.
>
> Then why are you using Linux/SMP?

I like FreeBSD. It's safe. It's secure. It's fast.

Initially when running a DALnet irc server, i used linux. It leaked memory,
had numerous networking problems, and was slow. Switching to FreeBSD was
like night and day. I couldn't believe the difference.

I do have one Linux machine now, because the FreeBSD doesn't run on an alpha
yet. As soon as it is available, I'll move it over.

I'm saying that if I was forced to run Linux on one of my more major
machines, I'd probably switch things over to be consistant. The one alpha I
do have is running Linux, and is completely stand alone....

> > I'm saying that I think it would be a shame to lose FreeBSD users
> > because of a lack of features that other OS's have, and no-one has
> > even given a rough date that these features will be available.
>
> The people who run the 'OS of the day' aren't that critical to FreeBSD's
> success, since there will *always* be something that causes them to
> switch to another OS.
>

> Nate

No, but consider someone who hasn't made up their mind yet, and knows
little/none about the current OS'es out there. The point I'm trying to make
is that it would, in my mind, help things considerably if there was in
interim (beta, maybe?) release of 3.0, with the warning that it's not done.

Kevin