Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 22:58:23 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI error code 83 and 84, medium errors

Well, if it is brand new sometimes that is even more of reason to suspect
the drive. You can try formatting the drive however the problem may
surface later on. I am not a scsi expect however sometimes you may
have to reformat the drive with the current controller.

This is not really an easy solution . In my case I chose to reformat
the disk for it to finally fail a few months later. However on its
way to die it cause daily lock ups on my system which I suspected
were scsi cabling problems. Okay, the system was running fine
with an adaptec 1542cf however I decided to upgrade to an adaptec 2940
scsi controller. Originally, we had problems with the driver so I couldn't
tell if I had scsi cabling problems however after Justin cleaned up the driver
I started suspecting my hardware. Finally after a month of tearing apart
replacing terminators and cables my scsi disk died. With my new
scsi drive I have not one single disk related crash. Where as before
my system would crash once or twice a day. The morale of the story
if you suspect a scsi disk replace it  if not take a note so if you
get weird scsi bus problems at least you know whom to suspect assuming
the usual -- you are sure about your cables and termination.

	Amancio