Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:45:49 +0200
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@gneto.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug Report: IBM x3650M4 (32GB, 2x4-core Xeon E5-2600, IBM ServeRaid M5110e): install fails with NMI

On 2012-08-28 19:26, Mike A wrote:
> Further results:
>
> At the suggestion of Fabian Wenk of the freebsd-amd64 list, I entered
> the following:
>
>> set hint.mpt.0.msi_enable="0"
>> boot
> using option 2 of the FreeBSD boot menu.
>
> This made no appreciable change to the symptoms.
>
> The RAID adapter is an IBM ServeRaid M5110e.
>
> It uses an LSI MegaRAID SAS-MFI BIOS Version 5.33.00 (Build March 15, 2012)
>
> I am now getting ready to test 8.3-Release amd64.

Hi,

Googling "IBM ServeRaid M5110e" turns up the following document as hit two:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/technotes/tips0857.pdf

This is clearly a LSI 2'nd generation 6Gbps MegaRAID SAS adapter that
need the mfi driver in FreeBSD.

The mpt driver probably attaches to the SAS controller part in the card
but there is no chance that this will work as it is built to be
controlled by the raid cpu.
You need to disable the mpt driver and check the PCI id of the card with
lspci and hack this into the mfi driver if it's not there already.

Support for this family of cards have only been available for a couple
of months so you must have an os with the updated mfi driver that
supports MegaRAID 9265

/Martin

--
Martin Nilsson, CEO, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malmö, SWEDEN
E-mail:martin@mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-59 99 91, Web:www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimised for FreeBSD & Linux