Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:12:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: www/en/projects/busdma index.sgml style.css (fwd)

Hey Alpha Folks,

Was wondering what the status of busdma support on Alpha is, in particular
regarding dmamap_load_mbuf().  In order to maximize the portability of
various drivers across platforms, we'll need to move to busdma as the
means for setting up and managing dma transfers.  However, since this
hasn't been an area we have focussed on much in the past, it will probably
take a little bit to get grounded and make sure all the infrastructure is
in place.  Could I get someone to volunteer to own the task of making
whatever infrastructure improvements are necessary on alpha to support the
busdma interface?  This way we can avoid regressions in drivers that
support dma natively on alpha, but don't use the busdma interfaces.  Also,
this will improve access to existing busdma drivers, such as the high
performance crypto device drivers added by Sam Leffler, whichonly use DMA
on busdma-enabled platforms.

Thanks!

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories