Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:51:17 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: Wanted: DEC Alpha Java porters

Koster, K.J. wrote:
> > > It would be quite cool if someone sat down to write this
> > > function in DEC Alpha assembler.
> >
> > *snip*
> >
> > Uncle George did all the work for AlphaLinux before Sun
> > dropped his license:
> >
> I have already been in contact with Uncle George. Understandably he critical
> about Sun's position. He would not even consider giving us access to his
> work before it is 100% clear that Sun is going to back us up all the way.
> Even if we can prove that, Uncle George has not made any promises.
>
> Perhaps he will help us out, perhaps he will not. It is his choice.
>
> Thank you for the web references, by the way, I will look into them.

I ferreted around on his web site at one point and managed to find some
diffs for jdk 1.2 to get it to work on the Alpha.  Unfortunately, these
diffs contain changes to the Makefiles like:

+ifeq ($(ARCH),alpha)
+ARCHNAME = alpha
+FILES.s += threadStart_alpha.s read_fpcr.s write_fpcr.s # invokeNative_alpha.s
+FILES.s += invokeNative_alpha.s
+FILES.c += machgc_nonsparc.c executeJava.c FPE_alpha.c
+CFLAGS_COMMON += -mieee
+else

but do not contain the extra files themselves (e.g. invokeNative_alpha.s).

Which is of course the things that we need :(.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083