Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 12:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jeffh@Cybernetics.NET (Jeff)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on new motherboard...

> Ok, I bought a computer from Maximus Computers, and boy let me tell you
> was that a MISTAKE.  I have to run Windows NT 3.5 on this machine as
> well, and my video drivers for NT crap out due to my BIOS.  Well, I think
> Maximus has either gone out of business or is just ignoring me totally,
> so I have to buy a new motherboard.
>
> The two boards I am considering are:
>
> ASUS Dual-Pentium PCI/ISA with Neptune Chipset  -- $351
> ASUS Single-Pentium PCI with Trident Chipset    -- $250 (near there)
                               ^Triton

> Which one of the above should I go with?  I know that the new Trident
> chipset supports the 120mhz Pentium chip, and it is supposedly a LOT
> better chipset in regards to speed, but at the same time I'd like to be
> able to upgrade to 2 CPU's when FreeBSD gets SMP support.
>
> I currently have a 90mhz Pentium P54C that I can plug into either of the
> above boards, and 32mb of RAM, so do you guys have any suggestions?

I currently own a the PCI/I-P54NP4D (dual Pentium PCI/ISA) and a fairly
happy with it.

I have also tested the PCI/I-P54TP4 (Triton chipset) board and it is
faster than the Neptune based boards, especially with respect to
memory write speeds.  Also Intel finally admitted that the Neptune
chip set will not correctly run more than 2 PCI bus masters,
so that may effect your desision.

Both boards are good boards to have, it depends on how bad you want to
go SMP when SMP support comes out.  You can have SMP now under NT 3.5
with the PCI/I-P54NP4 if you go that route.

You have found some very good prices by the way.