Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:22:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with UDMA mode on XP1000

Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it writes:

 > anyone has hints how I could fix this problem?

I'm re-sending something I sent a few months back when somebody else
complained of the same problem in a miata.  Miata's and xp1000 have
the same form factor, all the the below applies:

  Why?  Well, alphas are electrinically noisy, and physically cramped.
  The 500au in particular was designed by some sort of sadist who
  wanted things to look pretty and didn't give a damn how things
  worked on the inside.  If I had a $1.00 for every drop of blood I
  ever lost by skinning my knuckles inserting or removing drives or
  pci cards from miatas, I'd be rich.

  Rant aside, ATA cables are VERY sensative to EMI noise.  What's
  happening to you is that the cable is either badly twisted, running
  too close to an EMI source, or both.  This is causing the transfers
  across the cable between the controller and the disk to be corrupted
  (that's the ICRC error you're seeing).  This is NOT the fault of the
  software, rather its a real hardware problemn with your setup.  The
  software is saving you from serious disk corruption.

  I suggest moving things around inside and making sure that the
  cables are kink-free and don't run close to a source of EMI noise
  (cpu, powersupply, other pci cards).  This is much easier said than
  done on a miata like yours.  You might also consider purchasing the
  highest quality cables you can find (I have no suggestions as to
  brand..).  Maybe serial ata has better sheilding and would do
  better.  I dunno.  I do know that it took me 3 sets of cables and
  considerable fiddling to get ata33 to work on a UP1000.

  Alternatively, you could use atacontrol to force a slower mode like
  udma66 or udma33 which the cable might be more capable of handling.
  I have an old promise card in my miata which seems to handle udma33
  OK.

  Good luck.  You'll need it.

Drew