Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 07:53:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        beng@lcs.mit.edu, dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network problem with 2.2.6-STABLE

>   Really?  Since dump/restore requires direct knowledge of filesystem
> internals, it should probably be dropped for being a gross layering
> violation alone.  Assuming it can even capture a consistant view of an
> active filesystem (I doubt it myself).  dump/restore's idea of raw
> filesystem access was a mistake.

1)	You are not supposed to use it on mounted FS's.

2)	By that reasoning, we should get rid of fsck.

>   But dump/restore has been broken forever.  I hope that you don't have
> any 4+GB filesystems that you are dumping, because you will get a nasty
> surprise trying to restore it.

The dump format would have to change to be 64 bits (or more).

The fix is probably:

	struct statfs	fssb;
	off_t		tot;

	if( statfs( path, &fssb)) {
		perror( "statfs");
		exit( EX_SOFTWARE);
	}

	tot = fssb.f_bsize;
	tot *= f_blocks;

	if( tot & 0xffffffff00000000LL) {
		fprintf( stderr, "fs is too large for dump\n");
		exit( EX_DATAERR);
	}

Meanwhile, break you FS's up; your backups will take less time, too.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.