Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 11:30:46 -0700
From:      Mike Erickson <mee@quidquam.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language in danger: Language loss

* Rahul Siddharthan (rsidd@online.fr) wrote:
> Terry Lambert said on May 27, 2002 at 10:46:54:
> > >         I would argue that this issue is handled largely by reflex, with
> > > relatively little conscious thought.  What conscious thought has gone
> > > into this process happened before the situation began, so your reflex
> > > is going to be guided by your memory of the overall situation
> > > immediately before the unexpected occurrence.
> >
> > You know, I was going to liken driver's training and playing such
> > situations over in your head before the event itself, to a "kata",
> > which is (basically) a martial arts technique for training reflexes to
> > carry through into useful actions.  But then I thought "Naw, they'd
> > never buy that one".  8-).
>
> Actually, I would argue that all thought really occurs at some such
> subconscious level, and when you're thinking "consciously" you're
> really playing these thoughts back to yourself.  You can force
> yourself to think about a problem, but often the answer comes to you
> as a sudden insight when you're thinking about something else (or
> think you're thinking about something else).  Training and practice
> (in mathematics or computer programming or whatever) serve only to
> streamline this unconscious process.

Haven't you all stared at a math problem with a blank mind and had the
non-trivial answer just pop out of your mouth? That's all the proof *I*
need to believe that my brain is doing more than what I can observe
directly. Or when you can't think of a word/concept/name/etc, and then
the next day you randomly yell it out as your subconsious google finally
returns a result... ;)

The idea that thought is bound by the limits of language is not only
rediculous, it's scary.

mike