Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:27:32 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with ELF Emacs

%I'm running -current from a couple of weeks ago.  I recently re-compiled
%XFree86 to ELF - which works, and re-compiled emacs-19.34b - which won't
%work with X11, though it does work inside an Xterm.  My old aout emacs
%still works (with old aout libraries - the re-compiled aout libraries
%seem to be missing a symbol).
%
%When running as an X11 client, emacs opens the window and then nothing
%happens.  Looking at a ktrace, it seems to be continuously sending
%GetInputFocus commands to the X-server, which are being correctly
%replied to (as far as I can tell).
%
%I haven't bumped into this problem with any other X clients.
%
%Has anyone else seen this, or have any ideas?

Yes, and no.  It happens for me only with an ssh1 forwarded xterm, with
whatever the most recent emacs2 is.  Checked, and fails with emacs19.
Elf emacs works fine on a local xterm.  Xemacs works fine.  Everything else
does too.  At that point, I started exporting filesystems.

Russell

%Peter
%
%
%To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
%with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
%