Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:46:04 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        "Roderick van Domburg" <r.s.a.vandomburg@student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 RC3 now available

In message <LJEKLJEBPDDLMNCFCIOGAEOECAAA.r.s.a.vandomburg@student.utwente.nl>,
"Roderick van Domburg" writes:
>I would like to point to a currently unresolved issue that Thomas Moestl is
>helping me solve on freebsd-sparc@. It isn't listed on the Open Issues page,
>but I'd say it's something that needs to be resolved before the release is
>rolled.
>
>The thread is titled "panic: trap: fast data access mmu miss" and is about
>an error causing the sym SCSI controller to fail to mount root at best, and
>panic at worst.

Well, we all want our pet bug fixed before the release rolls, but at
some point we simply have to call it quits and ship the release.

I personally know this particular bug very well, I have rebooted the
AC/DC200 netra I had borrowed about 10 times more than I needed to
to get past this bug :-)

>The sym controller is listed as supported hardware, and used in several Sun
>boxes, so IMHO I'd say it warrants the attention.

All bugs warrent attention.  Some of them get it.

Don't worry, that bug, like all the others will get fixed and you will
be able to get an update for it in due time.

In the meantime we _really_ have to ship 5.0-RELEASE, we keep
slipping it.