Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 15:17:18 -0000
From:      "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
To:        imp@harmony.village.org
Cc:        ggm@apnic.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

Warner,

It is my understanding that IRQs 0, 1, 2, 8 & 13 are impossible to use
because they are not wired on the motherboard.  And IRQs 6, 12 & 14 are very
unlikely to be available.  That leaves IRQs 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 & 15 as
reasonable candidates on a modern PC [ISA16, VGA, IDE].

Below is a portion of a mini-FAQ on PC resources I have been writing in my
spare time:

IRQ 00 = System timer
IRQ 01 = Keyboard
IRQ 02 = Prog Int controller
IRQ 03 - Serial Port/Modem/IR (COM2) (COM4)
IRQ 04 - Serial Port/Modem/IR (COM1) (COM3)
IRQ 05 - Sound -OR- Parallel Port/Printer (LPT2)
IRQ 06 = Primary Floppy Controller
IRQ 07 - Parallel Port/Printer (LPT1)
IRQ 08 = System clock
IRQ 09 -
IRQ 10 -
IRQ 11 -
IRQ 12 = PS/2 Mouse
IRQ 13 = Numeric data processor
IRQ 14 = Primary IDE Controller
IRQ 15 - Secondary IDE Controller

Might I humbly suggest that when you print the "Management IRQ" message for
a non-matching IRQ that you include a warning referring to the specific type
of device which might be residing on the IRQ you select, since it is
possible the IRQ appears to be available when it is not.  For example:

Management IRQ 15 assigned due to resource conflict
Verify IRQ 15 is not in use by Secondary IDE Controller

Greg

Context below: