Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Matt Baker wrote:

> >From what I've heard, the 2501 won't handle a full BGP load due to the lack
> of memory.  A couple of questions:

It is more an issue of the 2501 lacking the CPU power to handle large
changes in the routing table, but memory is also a consideration at 16MB.

> 1. Is it possible to only exist with a limited set of BGP data in Australia?
>    Is this the iBGP you mention?

Yes, there are a number of options you have to only take a subset of the
global routing table. For example, you could have your upstreams only send
you routes for their AS and customer ASes. Then you could use equal cost
default routes over both of your upstreams and still ensure that traffic
to upstream Y's customer doesn't go over your link to upstream X.
http://www.netaxs.com/~freedman/multi.html
and
http://www.netaxs.com/~freedman/bgp/
have a discussion of this and other issues related to multihoming and BGP.

iBGP is internal BGP, which is BGP spoken between routers in the same AS.
For a good intro to BGP which will familiarize you with the
terminology (with cisco specific stuff of course), see
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/data/doc/cintrnet/ics/icsbgp4.htm

> 2. Would it be possible to let the 2501 handle the serial traffic on the
>    link, with a default route to a FreeBSD box which then looks after the
>    full BGP dataset?  The second link could either also hang off the 2501,
>    or the FreeBSD box.

This may be possible if you use eBGP multihop. Your upstream would peer
with the PC router instead of the 2501. eBGP multihop is more complicated
that straight eBGP, though, and it has a few "gotchas" that you have to
look out for.

> I really don't have any problem with using FreeBSD boxes as main routers,
> but we've got the 2501, so I might as well use it if possible.

2501s work fine for connecting customers.

pbd
--
Going to church does not make a person religious, nor does going to
school make a person educated, any more than going to a garage makes a