Date:      14 May 1997 17:29:41 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:

> Seriously, this is not about me adding gratuitous features just for
> the fun of calling down the email equivalent of lightning on my head -
> I don't need that any more than the next guy - I'm simply trying to
> implement what I feel is the far greater and more important strategy
> of getting commercial software vendors to play ball with us, and by
> doing so I've both accomodated CDE and sent the strong message to
> other ISVs that we're willing to make concensions when necessary.  Am
> I truly the only one to see the importance of this? ;-)

I'm all in favour of commercial co-operation. The fine line to draw is
the point when the commercial forces start dictating what FreeBSD
looks like and making a change that we don't feel is technically
correct to accomodate a commercial product is something that needs to
be thought about carefully.

One of the key strengths of FreeBSD is that we strive to do things the
right way rather than the expedient way.

I agree about making concessions but they need to be
thought through carefully and the end-benefits to the project
considered fully.

FreeBSD is very strong in the ISP server market and secure
mail handling is far more important there than running CDE. If people
wish to install CDE then they can make the necessary changes to the
system *at that time.*

--
  Dr Paul Richards. [p.richards@elsevier.co.uk]
  Originative Solutions Ltd.  [paul@originat.demon.co.uk]