Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 23:11:01 PDT
From:      "Shameek Basu" <shameek_basu@hotmail.com>
To:        chris@fedde.littleton.co.us
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of inodes!

>On Sat, 13 May 2000 21:18:08 PDT  "Shameek Basu" wrote:
>  +------------------
>  | Hi,
>  |     I did a df and this was the output:
>  | Filesystem    1K-blocks     Used     Avail    Capacity     Mounted on
>  | /dev/ad3s1a     49583       24913    20704       55%          /
>  | /dev/ad3s1f    4125061     1305486  2489571      34%         /usr
>  | /dev/ad3s1e     19815       12619    5611        69%         /var
>  | procfs            4           4        0         100%        /proc
>  |     I also did a fsck manually - there were no inconsistencies. Could
>  | someone please help me out?
>  +------------------
>
>run df -i, you may find something interesting.

I did..I discovered that I had 5000 inodes on /dev/as3s1e (or /var) and all
were used up! This problem happened when I was installing a large no of
packages on my machine. I think the pkg_add program makes a lot of symbolic
links in /var/db/pkg directory. So though there aren't too many bytes used
up, a lot of inodes are used up on /var. Of course I am speculating here.

Is there a solution to this other than uninstalling all these apps that I
had installed?

Are there some directories in /var that I can delete w/o harming the system?
I think deleting the symbolic links will cause problems at the time of
uninstall and upgrades etc.

Shameek