Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 10:08:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bob@obiwan.pmr.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, phk@ref.tfs.com, ache@astral.msk.su, julian@tfs.com, CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com, cvs-sys@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/scsi scsi_base.c

> Peter Dufault wrote:

> > I can give you a one line utility using scsi(8) that will print out
> > the info if that will help.  While I'm at it I'll write a format script,
> > though I don't have any disks I can test it on.
>
> That'd be cool!  How about one to enable write caching while you're
> at it?  I'd be glad to test it.

Peter, have you ever used Roy Ness's SCSICNTL.EXE utility that allows
you to muck with all the scsi control pages?  If you write a utility
like this that runs under FreeBSD I personally would be willing to
pay for some of your time.  As it stands now I have to boot DOS to
do the drive tweaking I do on all the systems I ship and thus a similiar
tool running under FreeBSD would save me that hassle.

I know that you won't be able to have all the drive information for
drive specific control pages that Roy has put in SCSICNTL.EXE, but
even being able to dittle the standard control pages that deal with
read allocation/write allocation and disconnect thresholds would
be a big boon.  Also the ability to do a drive verify and format
operation would be nice.

I will call Roy and see if perhaps I can get him to release the non-
Adaptec specific portions of his source code under some form of NDA,
if you are interested in this.