Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:12:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRC - #freebsd-newbies invasion?

Malartre writes:
 > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
 >
 > > #freebsd on EFnet is loaded with newbies, no need for a channel imo.
 > >
 > > -Alfred
 > >
 > > On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Bruce Albrecht wrote:
 > > >  > Some newbies are talking about where we should start a #freebsd-newbies IRC
 > > >  > channel, and among other options the FreeBSD IRC server came up.
 > > > Who is going to sit in the #FreeBSD-newbies channel and answer questions?
 > > > There are a number of #FreeBSD regulars that have limited patience for
 > > > brain-dead newbies, and so they're not going to be interested in hanging
 > > > around in #FreeBSD-newbies.  We certainly don't need another channel filled
 > > > with the clueless moaning about how badly FreeBSD sucks and that you can't
 > > > get any help because nobody knows anything about FreeBSD on the channel.

 > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
 >
 > Well, we will think to what you say.
 > I think than some not absolute brain-dead newbies can help to start.
 > Not very technical question, but more like "how to log"
 > And a corner for newbie.
 > its a community no?

I fear that I was a bit harsh in my phrasing, since I don't wish to imply
that most newbies are clueless or brain-dead.  However, I do have a concern
that if there's a #FreeBSD and a #FreeBSD-newbies, then anyone asking
things like "How do I boot from an install disk", or "How do I set up PPP",
and really needs step-by-step hand-holding, will automatically get shunted
over to the #FreeBSD-newbies channel.  If most of the people in the channel
barely know more than the person asking the question, then it may do more to
discourage new users than having only one irc channel with people of all
experience levels.  If #FreeBSD regulars think that it's a good idea, and are
willing to hang around the -newbies channel when they're in the mood to
answer questions, then, by all means, start one up.