Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:40:17 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mount /dev/acd0c: Device not configured

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 05:35:50PM -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> It's just -- ick -- Windows software install disk (3D Home Architect).
> I have a CD-less Thinkpad with WinDoze and FreeBSD, and typically
> install SW on the WinDoze side by mounting the disk on FreeBSD and
> exporting it with SAMBA.  Has worked well enough I don't need a CD on
> the laptop.

Same here for me, my sister likes to keep her dictionary cd for windows nearby,
but also likes playing audio cd's while working, so I shared it on one of
the home servers. I never had such a problem with a cd, and I tried a
lot of them today.. ;-)

> In fact, I did this just recently with TurboTax and it worked fine.
> As a test, I tried to mount the TurboTax CD the same as I always do
> and it failed with the same "Device not configured" message.  That
> seems new since it worked fine a week or two back.
>
> I rebuilt my OS from nightly CVSupped sources a day before trying
> this, so I was wondering if something got changed.
>
> In this case, it's not a big deal -- the SW isn't that important.  But
> come tax-time next year I'm not gonna be happy if I can't mount and
> install SW on my silly winDoze laptop. :-(

Still strange though it shouldn't happen. I tried some cd's over here
and they all had a isofs on the whole disk (the c part.) with microsofts
joliet extensions.
Curious; what does the output of ls -la /dev/acd0* say? I can image (but not
now for sure, or either say it is so, so don't quote me on this ;) that
the major and minor device numbers are changed (did you run mergemaster?) or
messed up. Try a sh MAKEDEV all in /dev to remake all of them.

> Thanks for the help!

Your welcome,
Gr,
--