Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:00:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, Antonio Bemfica <antonio@axolotl.ic.gc.ca>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall cannot find any disks ?

> Better be quick or it will be adopted by an Amnesty activist group.. ;-)
> In other words: I meet an increasing number of people who use sysinstall
> for all sorts of stuff and love it.

I'm sure the functionality it provides is appreciated and the desire
to provide such functionality is why I wrote it.  Nonetheless, the
entire design and implementation of sysinstall and its satellite
binaries is far too simplistic and non-extensible given that what
people have been using since April of 1995 is nothing more than a
stick-and-bubblegum prototype which was never meant to live more than
six months.

Unfortunately, my life changed pretty radically right after that and
all that wonderful uninterrupted free-time I was counting on using to
go off and implement Son of Sysinstall (e.g. the real application) got
eaten up by evangelical and management activities.  I still
occasionally dream of becoming a full-time programmer again and doing
this work, but then I also dream of becoming an astronaut and moving
to the international space station. :-) I think it's time for the next
generation of installation hackers to take up the gauntlet, and some
have already done so with the libh project.  Pity they don't appear to
have a web page anywhere though...

- Jordan