Date:      Sun, 23 Oct 2016 10:17:19 -0400
From:      Rod Person <rodperson@rodperson.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jive prejudices

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 06:41:10 -0700 (PDT)
Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com> wrote:

> Louis Epstein wrote:
> > You really need to have a hands-off policy on what software people
> > use.
>
> The meaning of this is unclear as anyone can still compile jive on
> their own outside of the ports tree.  WRT ports, they should be
> subject to the same policies as base.
>
> The meta questions here are: A) does FreeBSD have a policy restricting
> software that promotes hatred, discrimination or violence (IMO it
> should) and, if so B) does jive violate that policy.

I usually stay out of these discussions, but anything that can used to
create text or graphics can be used to promote hatred, discrimination or
violence. Heck, someone could fork FreeBSD for some nefarious means, say
embedding as a bomb controller.

For one, I didn't even know of the existence of Jive till it was banned
and I've been using FreeBSD since 1997.