Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:24:06 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

Damian Hamill wrote in message ID
<3357C27A.63DECDAD@cablenet.net>:
> One of the principle costs in running an ISP is the cost of bandwidth.
> Usenet is a big hit on bandwidth, the cost of which is disproportionate
> to the revenue generated from those that actually use it.  Anything
> which can reduce this major cost centre will be beneficial to ALL ISPs,
> regardless of size.

Actually, the bigger the ISP, the smaller the hit (at least on
external b/w ... internal b/w is another matter). I doubt Erols, even
though they are #1 on FreeNIX, even notice the impact of news on their
outbound DS3's, after 20,000 dialins have eaten their chunk.

> There just isn't enough bandwidth... ever...

A truer word has never been spoken.

Gary