Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:00:12 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ted Goranson <tedg@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Book recommendation (again)

--tV/+6PImfyFtriLg

On Sunday, 16 January 2005 at 21:25:44 -0500, Ted Goranson wrote:

> The online handbook wasn't helpful for my first problem. Complete
> FreeBSD, Absolute BSD, and Design and Implementation seem targeted
> toward admins and server setups. Am I wrong?

I certainly wouldn't put it like that.  Large parts of CFBSD address
desktop setups.  Obviously with a name like that, it needs to address
servers too.  And in all likelihood you'll find yourself running
servers sooner than you think.

> As an example of the level needed, where I'm stuck is I don't know
> how to configure X from the incredibly primitive default setup.

That's in there.

Design and Implementation is a very different book.  It doesn't do
server setup: it's for kernel software developers.  A good book, but
presumably not what you're looking for.

Greg

--tV/+6PImfyFtriLg

--tV/+6PImfyFtriLg--