Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:19:14 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware hints (was Re: VMware locks up 4.0-CURRENT ...)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Nick Sayer wrote:

> I have found a few things to keep in mind:
>
> 1. If you cvsup, you should rebuild the vmware port. On a couple of
> occasions, I have gotten bizarre vmware panics, and this has solved
> them.

erk, but not a big issue ...

> 2. If you have the linuxulator as a module, do not unload it without
> unloading vm*.ko first, and probably also linprocfs and rtc. Those
> modules all appear to hook in to the linuxulator, and if you rip it
> out from under them you may panic the machine. I've seen it. :-)

we have vmware as a proper port now (needs to be upgraded, mind you)...how
about getting linprocfs and rtc in before the ports freeze for 4.0?

Also, what is the 'linuxulator'? *raised eyebrow*  something else not in
ports? :(

> 3. If you rebuild the vmware port, you should 'stop' the rc script
> first, which will unload vm*.ko. After installing it, you need to
> 'start' the rc script to load the new ones.
>
> 4. If you want to remove a CD or a floppy, it's probably a really good
> idea to 'disconnect' the device from vmware first.
>
> 5. I think I have narrowed down some choppiness I perceive in the
> audio. I think the things that suck the hardest are DirectSound things
> -- DxDiag, Windows Media Player both suck. The shockwave plugin, sound
> recorder and ordinary Windows events, like the start sound and bell
> work fine. As such, I am thinking that this is vmware's fault, since
> they say that DirectSound isn't supported yet. If someone with a win98
> guest on a Linux host could confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

Okay, stupid question.  I get vmware installed and running, have a CDrom
on my machine and a bootable win98 CD ... how do I *actually* install
Win98 as a guest? :(  Or is this the next 'prompt' I shoudl get when I try
to powerup?

Systems Administrator @ hub.org