Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:33:14 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

"Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org> writes:

>We currently have no `builds OK' token at all,
>as such, anything's better than nothing :-)
>so define your token as rigorously or laxly as you feel,

IMHO, it , de facto, sets a minimum standard for the developers.

>in my (personal) book, if you put in the work, you get to decide,
>without hinderance of a thousand discordant other opinions,
>later when it goes public it can always be changed

Unfortunately, it requires that I change the present Makefiles because they
don't stand a chance of working in their present form. (Recursive
"definition" of Makefile behavior)

Since I haven't gotten Jordan, et al to agree to either 1) Freeze the
makefiles until I have a chance to make a working set or, preferably, 2)
agree to a different modus operandi whereby we decide on a design and then
collectively, or perhaps individually, without others running counter to
that design implement it, I do not feel that I can reasonably reach the
desirable goal of being able to build a "current" system in an automated
manner, starting only with a 2.1.5 system.

As much as I hate it, since I have lots of HD space, I can clone my entire
system and run in a chroot environment in order to avoid trashing my
production environment. However, that does not address the recursive
bootstrap problem which can be solved only by unrolling things and making
the initial primitive steps so that they do not rely on the "enhanced"
features of the version of "make" which is in current. Such a change
affects (IMHO, too) many sections of the makefiles.