Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:10:35 -0700
From:      pete wright <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: solid state drives?

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:
>     I have been tasked with converting several systems - some unix
> (incl. FreeBSD), some Windows, to SSDs.
>     What I know about SSDs will fit on the head of a pin.
>     Can someone recommend a good primer and a trustworthy source for
> information on product specs and reliability?

Can't recommend this article enough as a great starting point:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2385276

This should give you a good background which will enable you to get
past alot of the marketing foo.  The TL;DR version of my advice is it
really depends on your workloads, filesystem and data integrity
expectations.  There are good "enterprise" quality SSD's that provide
durable write characteristics - but the come at a premium price point
(Check out the Intel DC S3700 for example).  Samsung also manufactures
good enterprise quality devices as well.

Hope this helps!
-pete

--
pete wright