Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 16:47:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, rzig@verio.net, owensc@enc.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, ken@plutotech.com, (Bruce Evans) <bde@zeta.org.au>
Subject:   Re: DPT install problem

On 27-May-98 Chad R. Larson wrote:
>> It will be the same.  The 64K limitation is a generic FreeBSD
>> limitation, so CAM won't change it.  CAM won't limit it, though.
>
> I feel like I walked into the middle of a conversation.  What, exactly,
> is CAM?  Why would I be interested in it?

Like I say to my kids ``If you do not know, you do not need to know... ;-)''

Now seriously, from my perspective (Justin and others wrote and support it):

It is a new, replacement kernel layer code that sits between the kernel
lowest I/O abstraction layer and SCSI device drivers.  It implements this
layer according to some SCSI ANSI specifications as to how such layers
should be written.

If you are outside kernel internals, you should not care, except that it is
totally incompatible with the existing way FreeBSD does the SCSI
interfacing.  This means that someone has to re-write the drivers so they
work again.

Quoted advantages to this move are many and best explained by those who
wrote this code.

The current DPT driver is not conpatible with this layer and will not be
for several weeks to come.

Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,