Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:12:33 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 required for Document Project?

Hi,
On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:55:06AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
>
> > I am currently updating the various ports installed on my box and I had
> > to notice that it is no longer possible to install the docproj meta
> > port without getting X11 installed.
>
> Did you try WITHOUT_X11?

I thought we had WITH_X11=NO for this?  I'm rerunning the build right
now after deleting all those packages (again... sigh).

And again, this time with BATCH=YES, the ghostscript dialog box and
2>&1 | tee logfile don't mix.

> libxslt is used in the Web site build.  As far as I know it doesn't
> have anything to do with graphics.

Seems I saw the word GNOME in the description and that this was enough
to trip my already overloaded bloatware alert circuits.

> > After that, it was time for a pkg_delete frenzy, followed by a
> > rebuild of the complete port. After a generous make clean in /usr/doc,
> > I am still able to build the Release Notes, the FAQ and the FDP
> > primer.
>
> Build to what output formats?

HTML only, as usual.

> I just (independently) discovered that python is now a dependency for
> libxml2, which in turn is a dependency for libxslt.  This mysteriously
> showed up at some point in the not-too-distant-past.

Yes, and nobody noticed.  Which is a clear sign that things are
getting too big and out of hand.

> I'd be concerned about the ability for the different representations to
> get out of sync.  Typically we don't commit generated versions of files
> to CVS to avoid this problem as well as repo bloat.

Well, I prefer a small bit of repo bloat to a lot of software bloat.
And as you say: "Typically we don't commit generated versions",
there are always exceptions.  Some of the USB headers, for example.

> Even forgetting the issue of on-the-fly graphics conversions, you're
> proposing to remove functionality needed by some fairly mundane
> operations, such as the Web site build or building *.txt files.

Well, as links does not pull anything else in, I can live with putting
it back in.  As for everything:  If the price for lowering the bar for
new contributors is just a bit of repo bloat, we should be able to live
with it.

At the very minimum, we should add a hint about WITHOUT_X11 to the
docproj port.  A better option would be to add a docproj-lite port
that has JADETEX=no and WITHOUT_X11 defined by default.

/s/Udo
--
Why is it that if someone tells you that there are 1 billion stars in the
universe you will believe them, but if they tell you a wall has wet paint