Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:13:28 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tracking down the PS/PDF image problem

--pyE8wggRBhVBcj8z

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 12:34:06PM +0100, Niall Brady wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 10:37:29PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> >=20
> > So, if you've got a copy of the Handbook in PS or PDF format, and the
> > images (particularly the installation images in chapter 2) work OK for
> > you, and you know the date the PS or PDF was generated, please can you
> > follow up with that information so that I can narrow the search down.
>=20
> I've got a pdf & ps which are working fine... built 5 minutes ago...

Can you send me a copy of them.  I don't need the whole Handbook, so do
something like:

    cd ......../handbook
    make -i CHAPTERS=3Dinstall FORMATS=3Dps\ pdf

which will generate book.{ps,pdf} with just the install chapter.

Also, can you tar up a few of the .eps files from the install/
directory, and send them to me.  I want to compare them with what my
system generates.

> Any other info ye need, just ask ;-)

I've looked at the stuff you sent in private mail.

> but our TeTeX install is custom, so that may make a difference

How did you customise it?  I'm a TeX neophyte, so use small words (or
better yet, step by step instructions) :-)

I've looked through the package version output, and the things that
jumped out at me were:

 .  You're using the AFPL Ghostscript, Bruce and I are using the GNU
    one.  I've removed the GNU one from my system and replaced it with
    with the AFPL one, but that doesn't have any effect.

 .  You don't have the netpbm libs registered in the package database.
    These are a dependency of (amongst other things) peps.  I have
    the netpbm-9.25_1 installed from the ports tree.  What version do
    you have?  Since peps is used to generate the images that are=20
    causing the problems I suspect that we have an issue there.

 .  You don't have jadetex registered in the package database.  I
    assume this is part of the TeTeX customisation, yes?

Thanks,

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--pyE8wggRBhVBcj8z

--pyE8wggRBhVBcj8z--