Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:54:14 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: distfiles no longer on 4.0 CDs

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 10:53 PM -0500 2000/4/19, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
> >  4.6 Which compiler switches should I use for smallest code size?
> >
> >   The combination -O -Os will usually generate the smallest binaries.
>
>         If you're going to do this sort of thing, then you also need to
> make sure that you strip all the binaries, and in fact you should
> probably compress them all with gzip and make sure that the system
> can run gzip'ed executables directly (as I believe we do with the
> kernel image on the bootfloppy images).

FWIW, we already strip all the binaries but running gzipped executables
is not really necessary since these fit in memory. -O -Os would be a
good default for the packages since, other than reducing size, it gives
a pretty good optimization level.

IMHO, the packages should be in  *.bzip.cpio instead of *.tar.gz format,
since bzip is better and our tar is unstandard. (also note the change in
order of operations here, it makes the packages easier to check before
unpacking). The package naming should also be something that resembles
8.3 format, perhaps name-version.bio.

My $0.02, I hope BSDI has something more useful.

cheers,

     Pedro.