Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:10:20 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>, "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

> > >Not so.  Having done C professionally for umpteen years, C++ for a
> > >little less than umpteen years, and Java for 4, I can say w/out
> > >reservation that C++ sucks.
> >
> > Actually, C sucks too, but C++ sucks more. Neither is a professional
> > tool; you have to be twice the professional to use either as to use
> > a safer language (IMHO, of course).
>
> Languages with training wheels are so that people who would
> otherwise have to learn how to ask "Would you like fries with
> that?" can contribute productively to programming projects.

This is argument made to appease your ego, and have no bias on reality.

I can write C/C++/Java as good or better than most, and Java allows me
to get more done in a shorter amount of time than any other language.
And, not only that, my resulting programs are more reliable and bugfree
since I can spend more time worrying about the program, and not the
language itself.

I'm not saying that other languages don't also exhibit these
characteristics, but C++ is one of those languages that constantly gets
in the way.  Rather than spending time solving the problem, I spend more
time worrying about the pitfalls of the language...

Nate