Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:32:19 +0100
From:      Jochen Keil <J.Keil@gmx.de>
To:        stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: different behaviour between 4.x and 5.x (ping response/disk io) [was Re:   ]

stheg olloydson wrote:
> Glad to be of help. Raidframe had been ported to FBSD 5.x, but it was
> removed because kernel changes broke it, and no one volunteered to fix
> it. I think gvinum replaced vinum in 5.3 for the same reason. I don't
> use software raid, so I don't really know.
It's a pity that raidframe didn't make it into FreeBSD. It seems to be
faster than (g)vinum at least for me. I tried gvinum because i wanted to
look on gdbe but it didn't seem to be ripe. It lacked several options
from "gvinum help" and if used not carefully enough it would crash the
whole machine. On the other hand vinum seems to be very stable but
hasn't GEOM support.

> But NBSD 2.0 is very nice. A company that I do consulting for has just
> chosen it as the OS for a new embedded product in their pipeline. I've
> been toying with the idea of idea of web-enabling my toaster by hooking
> up temperature sensors and a camera, so web surfers could make toast at
> my house.
Good idea, maybe i should install NetBSD in my hair-drier and have the
web crowd decide wether my hairs will be dry or wet. :)

> I was going to use a 8051 chip and write the code, but maybe
> I'll use NBSD on an embedded board. (Someday, I may want to add the
> sprinkler system, pool pump,....)
A fully controllable house is very nice but it either means a lot of
work or a lot of money. It's also quite difficult to "upgrade" an old
house because all the walls and floors would have to be ripped open in
order to install cabling.

>>>P.S. (to the list in general) Why do all of the questions about FBSD
>>>performance, especially 4.x vs 5.x, come from people posting from
>>>Windows boxes? Theories?
>>
>>In my case i'm using windows because it's pre-installed on the laptop
>>i use and i never had luck with *bsd/linux on the desktop (and
>>especially laptops).
>
> This was meant as a humorous question because of certain Windows users'
> not well-reasoned or -argued posts on this very topic in the last few
> days.
Trolls are really a plague but i think it's quite calm on this list in
regard to some Internet panels. Anyway i hope nobody thought that i'm
trolling. :)

> Different tools for different jobs. Although, in the thread you
> referenced, you said you were having major SMP problems with NBSD. I
> hope you get those sorted. Those, I would think, are worse than any
> network and vinum performance problems. In any event you may wish to
> check back when 5.4 is released. (No release schedule yet.)
There are some more points that made me stick with NetBSD and maybe i'll
want to come back to FreeBSD when 5.4 is out. However i think that
development for NetBSD will make advances too. What SMP, NetBSD and
FreeBSD concerns i have to say that i know much more now than when i
wrote to the NetBSD mailing list.
I made some assumptions back then which proved to be wrong. Somebody
gave me the hint to have a look at "sysstat vmstat" and i saw that the
interrupts grew to an high number on disk i/o. It went a little bit
smoother without SMP. I couldn't remember that FreeBSD did so, thus i
assumed that it performed better. Checking it again exposed that there
was almost the same interrupt behaviour. My apologies for writing emails
with unevaluated statements.

> You're welcome and see you on the 'net.
>
> stheg

Best Wishes,